Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Battle of the Belly Bulge

I had a horrific experience on Monday morning. I woke up as usual and got dressed for the day, but when I went to button my pants I couldn't. I was horrified. Now I realize I'm pregnant, and yes my belly is poking out a lot more than usual (I think it's mostly bloating and fat), but up until now, I could at least button my pants. Sometimes in the evening I would need to loosen up my button, but never first thing in the morning. Apparently I'm gaining back the weight I lost in my first trimester.

I was so devestated that I decided to go shopping, which is what I always do when I'm feeling fat and ugly. I decided to look at maternity clothes and that made me more devestated. First of all, in the downtown Salt Lake area there are no maternity clothes. Your only option is Mimi Maternity that has little selection and really high prices. I also found that I'm not yet ready for maternity clothes, still too small, but at the same time, I'm busting out of my current one's. I guess I figured that one day I would just be wearing maternity, but no....there is this akward in-between stage where you are stuck between your normal clothes and real maternity clothes. What are you supposed to do?

(Now I do realize that this could all be possible to the fact that I can't stop eating. For 2 months straight the thought of food made me want to puke. Now I'm making up for it. I'm hungry all the time. I'm sure I'm getting fatter by the minute.)

Well, after hours of searching for something I could wear that would be comfortable, but not frumpy, I finally stumbled across the bella band. It's a stretchy piece of material you put around your waist and over your belly that allows you to keep wearing your regular clothes, but not button them. It hides the fact that you're too fat to button your own pants and keeps them up for you. I'm thankful for this find and it's working nicely, but I still feel fat.
Although I purchased the bella band, and love it, my mother-in-law was the real hero of the day. She gave me a gift certificate to the Ann Taylor Loft for my birthday. This is my favorite clothing store second only to the Ann Taylor. I was able to find a really cute, and still professional looking blouse that is a little baggy in the belly, but still looks fabulous with my unbuttoned black capri's, my bella band, and my peep-toe pumps. PHEW!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonja you are prego you are not getting fat the baby is growing embrace your new body and love every min of it you will miss it when it is gone sounds weird i know but you do and there is nothing more lovely than a prego mom

Jamie "Ozneck" said...

i think its the only time people think woment look cute with a big belly....hmmmm maybe in need to have a baby?

Sonja said...

Nikki you are so nice and always have great advice! I think I will just embrace it and let it all hang out. I just feel bad cause there are several girls at my work who are prego and they say "Oh we didn't need maternity clothes until we were 22 weeks." Then my Dr. said that everyone is different. He pointed out that I don't have much space between my belly and my ribs so it has no where else to go but out. Oh well. I did go buy some stuff at Old Navy and Mimi. It was fun. I put it on at night when I get home and it's comfortable. Jamie, you're way too young to have a baby. Wait a little longer. And I do know some guys who think a girl with a belly is cute.

Jamie "Ozneck" said...

lol...too young!! most girls i know at my age already have two or three kids....

Sonja said...

So what. I am 10 years older than you and my first is on the way. And you know I'm the smartest, wisest, most well-adjusted, successful, happy, beautiful person you know. You should want to be just like me.