Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Best Thing I've Ever Done


So, after a long time being away from my blog I'm back in business. After switching it over to a new account I lost all of my passwords and emails and trying to recover those is not an easy process! However I got it all taken care of and plan to resume my blog. I love doing this and love looking back and reading my entries. It's my journal online and my way to give all those fun little details to my family far away. I'm sad that Ty is 12 weeks old and there is nothing on here of his life so far, but we'll catch up. Hopefully this sums up what I think of him so far and what I think of being a mom. It is truly the best thing I've ever done....

There are several times in my adult life where I’ve described an experience I’ve had as “The best thing I’ve ever done!” The first one I remember is serving a mission. I came home from the experience a changed person in more ways than one. Up to that point in my life it was the most challenging, yet most rewarding thing I had ever done. I was stretched and tried to my very limit, only to have help from Heaven step in at the very moment of breaking and give me more strength to endure, more knowledge to share, more guidance to show the way, and more powerful life lessons than I had ever learned up to that point. I remember coming home thinking “That was the best thing I’ve ever done.”

The second experience I can remember feeling the same way was when I found myself living in Provo Utah attending BYU and working part time. Early one morning I received a phone call from my student ward Bishop. He knew I was planning to move out of the ward at the end of the semester and in fear that I had signed a contract with another apartment complex called at 6am to tell me that he felt strongly that I shouldn’t sign the contract and that while he was in the temple he felt the spirit tell him that I was needed in the ward to preside over the Relief Society. I accepted the call and didn’t move. I spent a year and half serving as president with all my heart and soul. The day I was released was bitter sweet. For several months after if you asked me about that experience I would utter the words “That was the best thing I’ve ever done.”

The third time was when I was called to serve in the Stake Relief Society Presidency. Again I served with my heart and soul and had some incredible experience such as serving and speaking with my all time favorite LDS author Robert Millet, or meeting and introducing the likes of Sheri Dew and Chieko Okasaki Aileen Clyde, and others at firesides. For four years I served and again when it was over and was asked about it I again said, “That was the best thing I’ve ever done.”

During this time I got a great job where I was able to use my talent for teaching and my love for traveling to earn a living. How lucky was that? When asked about how I liked my job, and my adventures around the world I often said “That was the best thing I’ve ever done”.

Several years later I met the man of my dreams and after a wonderful and fun filled year of dating we were married on March 29 in the Salt Lake temple. Again, I couldn’t help but utter the words “That was, by far, the best thing I’ve ever done”.

Now, almost four years later, with Jeremy by my side, I gave birth to our first child. A precious son who has brought so much love and joy into our lives and completely changed our lives in the best way possible and if you ask me how I like being a mom and having a child in our home, in our arms, and in our lives, you’ll hear me say “This is the best thing WE'VE ever done”. (Now I have a partner in my best things moments....make that two partners.)

Isn’t it great that just when you think, life can’t get any better, it always does? That when you're taught one valuable lesson, another is waiting just around the corner? How we learn line upon line? I can't wait for our next "This is the best thing we've ever done" moment! But for now we'll continue to enjoy the one we're in...I have a feeling it's going to last a long time!

1 comment:

BreAnna said...

ok, I am a big jerk, I kept checking and checking and figured your blog was a "prego blog" and stopped checking forever!! Sorry I love this post sonja, such a great momento to your sweet family!