Minivans and SUV's of all shapes, colors, and sizes came in droves and found their parking spots, quickly filling up the empty space that separated me from them. Once parked, a cute little mom jumped out and pulled a single or double stroller out of the back then put anywhere from 1-4 kids in or around the stroller. They then pulled out bags or coolers of snacks, bottles of water, sunscreen, bug spray, binkis, bottles, cameras, and other baby gear. I watched at least 50 people do the same thing over and over until the space that separated us quickly filled in.
I watched with awe and wonder at these things going on around me. This was a world I had observed but never been so close to before. A world that felt so foreign to me. A world I just didn't feel like I belonged in or could even begin to understand. A world where strollers have the right of way and snacks shaped like animals are a must. I couldn't take my eyes off all that was going on around me.
I then finished feeding Ty and Emily met me in the parking lot. As I got out I walked around to the back of the car, opened the door, and pulled out a stroller,it hit me. I AM one of these people. Now I AM one of the stroller pushing mom's with bags of baby gear, binkis, and bottles. I've entered into this world and will likely be a part of it for many years to come.
It was strange and I felt like the new person who wasn't quite sure how it all worked. Are there rules for proper stroller navigation? What is the proper etiquette for screaming babies, eager children, and poopy diapers? Is one type of animal shaped snack more nutritious than the other? Why did this seem so normal to everyone else but me? I wondered if people would notice that I was so green.
I put Ty in the stroller, gathered the baby gear and pushed along, still fascinated and figuring things out. I admit even though it still feels a little weird, I love being a part of this new club...the mom club...the stroller brigade...the snack pack, whatever it's called. I'm in it and I love it even though it can be a zoo sometimes.
As for the zoo, Ty is obviously a bit young to appreciate the animals, but he did seem fascinated by all the people and activity going on around him. He has his own favorite animal however and here's a picture of it. He loves this little bear with it's skinny legs he can easily grab onto. He couldn't be any cuter could he?

4 comments:
He is so great. I loved reading this, so true that often we feel like we are the ones who stick out, but I think most people are thinking they are that one. You definately are part of the pack!
wow that was a very nicely written editorialish piece. (jeremy)
He is getting so big
I loved this little piece of prose Sonja. You paint such a vivid picture and I just love that you are enjoying motherhood so much. You are definitely good at it!
Post a Comment