As I watched I observed many different kinds of travelers from young people on great adventures, to older people making the most of their retirement, but the traveler that caught my eye the most was the one who I used to be a few short years ago, the business traveler.
I spent close to 6 years flying the friendly skies for my career and became quite the savvy traveler. I had so much fun and felt quite confident getting myself around the country and around the world. I earned my medallion status after logging tens of thousands of miles and memorized my passport number after filling out about just as many documents and forms. My dad was so surprised that his shy little daughter who used to be too nervous to call and order a pizza was now standing alone on a street corner in Hong Kong hailing a cab.I spent my flights often preparing power points and practicing scripts, completing important projects, and reading for leisure. I loved my work because I was doing what I loved and the bonus of being able to travel extensively was like icing on the cake. Not to mention a dream come true. I knew my way around all the major airports and had my favorite stops for eating and buying a book or getting a drink.
And I've traveled just enough to know that I've hardly seen a thing.
A few years ago I switched companies and although I continued to travel and present, my destinations became a little less exotic. I traded Malaysia and Manilla for Minnesota and Milwaukee and Boise for Berlin. But I was a new wife, ready to travel less and stay closer to home so it worked just perfect for me. And now as I work from home, I still get the opportunity to travel occasionally and keep up on my talents, and this is how I ended up in the Las Vegas airport last Tuesday.
As I watched the business travelers hurrying about on their phones, unpacking their laptops, reviewing their projects I had to smile at how my life has changed in just a short amount of time. Now instead of a laptop I carry diapers, and instead of practicing my scripts or reading my favorite books I play peek-a-boo, read stories about caterpillars, and eat crackers shaped like bananas.
I'm pretty savvy at going through security alone with a stroller, car seat, diaper bag, purse, blankets, stuffed animals, sippy cups, and snacks, without holding up the line too much. I've traded my passport stamps for more time at home and my medallion status for the opportunity to hold my baby on my lap as I travel.
What I didn't realize, until I stood on the stage last weekend giving my first presentation in a long time, was how much I love my work, and how thankful I am to be able to keep a little part of it. I didn't think I needed it because I feel so fulfilled by motherhood, but as I stood up there and taught and visited with the many people I work with, I realized how good it is for me and I'm thankful I get to do it every once in a while still.

As I watched the fancy schmancy business travelers hurry by to catch their next flight to some exotic location in the world, would I trade a thing? Not even for a second!
4 comments:
I remember when we used to travel together. I loved it! But I'm with you, I wouldn't go back to that life for anything. I love be able to stay home with my boy!
this is really sweet, it is so great you can still work just enough to remind you how much you like it.
It's so crazy how your life has changed so much. You are always great at everything you do. You have been given such a gift to be a great public speaker. It shows that you have also been given the gift of being such a wonderful mother. I get so inspired by the wonderful words you write on your blog. Keep it up, cause it keeps me going!
If you are ever interested in speaking in Salina let me know..I serve in the Stake Young Women and we are always in need of great speakers. ;)
It was sooo good to see you again! Ty had a lot of fun driving little Ty around on the 4-wheeler. I'll post the picture so you can see how cute they are.
Post a Comment