Monday, March 17, 2008

Back From Outer Space...

I'm not really a movie person, although I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with being one. I just have a hard time finding movies I really like. And I can always think of a million other things to be doing rather than watching them.

But lately I rented one that I loved. It's been a really long time since I've seen a movie that I really enjoyed, that really taught me something, or that made me think about it longer than a couple of minutes. It was Martian Child.

I loved the lessons it taught me about being a parent, and what really matters, and that there is nothing my sweet little boy could ever do to make me not love him. One of my favorite scenes was when the little boy in the movie broke something, and he was afraid he was in trouble. The fathers response was, no, I'm not mad at you, this is just a thing, it's not that important, and they proceeded to break all the dishes in the house.

Now perhaps I wouldn't have gone that far, but I hope that in the heat of the moment, when Ty breaks something important on accident, because his hands are still small and learning to work, or he spills on something important, or spills for the fourth time, I remember that him and his self esteem are infinitely more important than any object I own or any mess I have to clean up.

Even when he learns to crawl on top of the microwave we have yet to get a stand for. Looks like he's a climber, just like his dad!


7 comments:

Jamie "Ozneck" said...

I loved this movie!!! I tried to get mom to watch it and she thought it was a scary movie...so i dont know if she ever did but that little boy was so cute in the movie!!!

Preds Girl said...

I haven't seen that movie but it sounds like a good lesson.

What a cute little climber. :-)

Ashlee said...

Thanks Sonja- ANOTHER movie I now need to watch! It's hard with 4 KIDS spilling and ruining things on a daily basis to remember that they are just "things" because this little mishaps also require lits of clean-up for mom! Still- it's a good point we all need to be reminded of sometimes!

Heather said...

I'm going to have to check this movie out. I have to remember that when the boys coming running in the house from out back and in the dirt on my clean floor..thats o.k. They are having fun and they are just boys. My floor can be cleaned again, right?:> But I'm just like you...I have a hard time sitting & watching a movie, I'd rather be doing something worthwhile.

Arah Debra said...

I love this movie! That was one of my favorite scenes too. I loved when he told him that their was nothing he could do to make him stop loving him. Made me cry. Definitely a good lesson for parents.

Zachary said...

I saw that movie back when it was in the theaters and thought it was one of the best movies to come out in a very long time. It was clean, well-written and had a good message. Loved it! I am glad you enjoyed it too. The dish breaking scene was awesome.

BenJenKids said...

Ditto of what everyone else said. Definitely on my list to see...maybe next week during spring break while the kids are at Grandma's...Thanks for the movie recap, it reminds me of a saying that was cross-stitched I saw once: "The most important things in life are not things."