Sunday, July 20, 2008

Temporary Custody

I know that my time with Ty is short. He is growing up fast. I often can't believe I'm the mother of a little person that walks and talks. Before I know it he'll be on his own. He'll go on a mission or off to school and then create a family all his own. But I'm so thankful, that for now, I get him all to myself. I make sure that each day I treasure every moment. It's absolutely VITAL to me that I don't miss a thing.



I'm thankful that for these short years I have him in my care that I'm the one who kisses him 400,00 times a day or more. I'm the one to see his smiling little face every morning. I'm the one who is allowed to take advantage of the thousands of opportunities a day to teach him new things. I'm the one to hold him and comfort him when he's hurt. I'm the one to hold his hand as we walk down the sidewalk. I'm the one who spends thirty minutes walking to the corner so we can look at every bug, throw every rock, and pick every dandelion along the way.



I'm the one who gets to snuggle and the couch with him and his "bankum" (blanket) and read fun stories together. I'm the one who gets to hear him laugh so loud when I tickle him. I'm the one who gets to care for him when he's sick. I'm the one who gets to hear the new words he learns. I'm the one who hears the pitter patter of his little feet as he runs around the house all day. I'm the one who makes sure his every need is met.



I'm thankful I'm the one who gets splashed while he takes a bath. I'm the one who gets muddy when we play in the dirt together. I'm the one who gets stains on all my shirts when he eats. I'm the one who he dances with when he hears music. I'm the one who gets to look into his little eyes and see how happy he is. I'm the one that worries about every little detail of his life. I'm the one who gets daily head butts and kisses. I'm the one who catches him doing silly things all day.



I'm thankful I'm the one who gets to chase him when he runs away. I'm the one who gets to push him on the swing. I'm the one who gets to slide down the hill on my bum with him. I'm the one who wipes his tears and kisses everything better. I'm the one who obsesses over the temperature of his room. I'm the one who gets up every morning around 4am to put his blanket back on. I'm the one he runs too, leans toward, calls for, and points to when he's upset or afraid.



I'm thankful I'm the one who will teach him how great his is, how much he can do, and how amazing he can become. I'm so thankful I was chosen to be the one he calls mom. And more important, I'm the one who gets to do all of this along side Jeremy.

How lucky are we that someone trusted us enough to send Ty into our life, home, and family. And let's us call him "ours" until he becomes his own.

I love that I'm that one to be his mother. And the gratitude that can't be expressed enough with words often displays itself with tears that just spill out when my emotions fill up my insides. I'm thankful I'm the one who gets to feel this much joy every day.

5 comments:

Preds Girl said...

That is the sweetest explanation of parenthood... Thank you for putting it into words. :-)

Preds Girl said...

I've thought about it all afternoon... I think the way you've described what it feels like to be a mommy should be published! What an impact!

Unknown said...

WOW...can I seriously use this for a talk someday. You have such a great way of looking at life and putting it into words.

Kristin said...

Have I mentioned how amazing I think you are. Mostly because you aren't writing what you do for anyone but yourself... it's the truth, not just a facade. It's nice to read your post and be reminded how much I love those things with my little one. I'm so tired lately that sometimes I just feel annoyed. I like being reminded to enjoy it... all of it!

Ashlee said...

Ditto to everyone who's commented. Parenting is so exhausting- especially with 4 kids! With that being said it's so hard sometimes to remember that our children are gifts from God sand should be treasured ALWAYS- not just during those peaceful moments when they are obedient. Once again thanks for inspiring me!