
A walk with Ty is not for exercise or talking, it's for exploring and discovering. Two blocks can take 45 minutes. Did you know there is 45 minutes of fun in two neighborhood blocks? We talked about how we would often find ourselves wanting to rush him along because we were going to the park or the market or to someones house or just for a walk. Then we both realized that this isn't about the destination, it's about the journey and Ty has taught us to slow down and enjoy it more.
Some of the things he enjoyed on our one hour, four blocks (one way), walk today was dirt, rocks, pine cones, nuts, leaves, jumping over cracks, sitting on steps, watching construction workers build a house, walking up to strangers front doors and knocking, climbing over big rocks, and running fast, just to name a few.
Motherhood is also all about enjoying the journey and I'm happy I made up my mind to do that from the very beginning. From his tiny little new born cry, to the screaming NO! when he doesn't get his way, I've learned to enjoy every moment. I can't really say I have a favorite stage because they are all equally fun and different. One of my best memories was his second day on this earth when my family all went out to lunch and I spent 2 hours alone with my son as he slept on my chest in the hospital. And one of Jeremy's favorite memories was falling asleep with Ty on the couch last night for two hours on his chest in our living room.
Ty has really taught us how to slow down and enjoy. It's ok if the laundry waits one more day, I have tunnels to build and trains to play with. It's ok if I don't make a nice lunch for myself, I have the crusts from his peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and big glass of milk to enjoy. It's ok if the floor isn't mopped on time every week, I have a sleeping baby to stare at. It's ok if I don't get dressed until almost 10am most days, I have pancakes to make with my best little helper.
It's ok if I don't get the laundry folded, I have so many interesting books to read and a cute boy to cuddle with. It's ok if household chores take twice as long because I have my best little friend who wants to be involved and help with every step. It's ok if I don't get all the projects I want to done, because my most important project is unfolding and developing right before my eyes and I don't want to miss a thing.
I've learned that as I slow down, I accomplish the things I need to and more importantly I get to enjoy the things that are most important. The journey is what counts and we sure enjoy it! Every minute of it.

3 comments:
Sonja I love that you love being a mother. I cant wait to see you when you get here!!!!
You really make me appreciate being a mother even more than I already do! I think you said you're going private and I definitely want to be invited! robertsonashlee@yahoo.com
What a great reminder! You have such a great attitude... thank you... I learn from your posts all the time!
Post a Comment