The super mom can do anything and still look pretty. Her hair is done every day, makeup applied, clothes clean and wrinkle free, in perfect shape, has perfectly behaved children, feeds them only healthy food, teaches math, reading, spelling, scriptures and all the Primary songs, and never turns on the TV. Of course she does all of this while making dinner for sick neighbors, hanging out with friends, finding time to jog, volunteering for a great cause, working in her spare time, writing a book, reading her own scriptures daily, always doing visiting teaching early in the month, doing more than is required in her calling, and having a perfectly clean house no matter when you drop by....yadda yadda yadda... you get the picture.
I can't do half of those things in a week. I've come to terms with this however. Some people have it and some don't. I don't. And that's ok. And here's why I'm ok with not being "Super": I have no guilt about it. I'm literally doing my best. I know I'm not perfect and I don't know how to handle every situation perfectly no matter how many books I read. But I am, every single day, giving it ALL I've got. I'm doing the best I know how and giving the best I have to give, imperfect as it may be, and that feels good and eliminates any feelings of inadequacy or guilt.
I don't always feed my children perfectly healthy food. Sometimes it's days before my hair even gets washed, and some days, ok most days, I say prayers of thanks for Curious George because if it wasn't for him distracting the little people in my house for 15 minutes several times a day, I might lose it.
The neighbors might go hungry, my body is turning to jello, I haven't volunteered for anything in two years, my hair is in a pony tail everyday, and mascara is all I have time for, my friends probably wonder what happened to me, my scriptures sometimes get dusty between readings, I might microwave some dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets for dinner tonight, and I just got a poop stain on my favorite white T-shirt. I do my visiting teaching sometimes by phone. And it's all ok because my boys know I love them and would do anything for them, that I give them the best of me everyday and that nothing is more important to me than they are. Except their dad of course.
I'm also thankful that I love doing it. Even though it's the hardest job I've ever had. I truly love it. All those other things are a small price to pay for the moments I get to spend every day in the presence of these two....And I suppose if that's all that matters, maybe I'm more super than I thought.
3 comments:
"Super" is defined in the eye of the beholder...There are four men who see you as super:
Your husband
Your two sons
and your Heavenly Father
I figure those are the only ones that really matter anyway.
And for what it is worth, as a blast from the past, I think you are pretty fantastic and have no doubt that you are a Super Mom/Wife/Daughter.
You seem pretty super to me! I love the post!
everything you have written that you do, is considered super. i don't think there is a real person out there who achieve's the little dream we all have before children come.
when your boys (and maybe more?) look back on their life. they will tell all their friends what a great mother they have. and what a happy childhood they had. and THAT is what makes you a super mom.
Post a Comment