Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Mushy Gushy Stuff

For the last three or four months I have been stuck on the same topic in my personal spiritual study. I can't move past it. I guess you could say I "hunger and thirst" for it. I've always enjoyed this topic but at this time in my life it's been particularly important to me.

I also love that life is hard. Ok I don't love it in the middle of the hard parts, but at the end. I love looking back and seeing the lessons learned. I love it. I always "stand all amazed" at what I was just taught. The lessons my life is teaching me right now have to do with the topic I can't tear myself away from. The topic? LOVE. And not just any love, the LOVE of God, or the pure LOVE of Christ, or CHARITY. The kind referred to in 1 Corinthians 13 and Moroni 7. The kind mentioned in the first and second great commandments. REAL LOVE. Unconditional LOVE.


Ok it sounds mushy and gushy and cheesy and soft. But it's so not. It's EVERYTHING. And it's what makes you strong. Really strong. Spiritually strong and spiritually mature. I have learned so much that if I were to write it all down it would take hours. Mostly I've learned that I have so much more to learn.

I also love Conference and this week have been playing catch up with the talks. It's so hard to sit and listen with two little ones. Those days are over for now. The speakers at this General Conference spoke directly to me (well, and everyone) about this most important topic. If you were to ask me the theme? LOVE. They spoke of love, charity, temperence, kindness, all of the things I am learning. It was awesome.

Someday when I have the time I'll write down my thoughts and insights. But for now I'm thankful for all I'm learning. It's completely changed me, validated many of my feelings and beliefs, and most important of all affected the way I parent my children and love my husband. I am a better mom, wife, and woman because I now understand REAL LOVE more. That's right....the mushy gushy stuff. It's everything.

1 comment:

BreAnna said...

This is beautiful Sonja, I could definitely learn more about true Christlike love.