Sunday, March 06, 2011

Fun, Fabulous, Fearless, Four

My dear sweet Ty Guy,

You are now FOUR years old. I can't believe that a little over four years ago you came into our lives. You are my first born and my first introduction to being a mother. I have cherished every second since then. I remember feeling like my heart would burst right out of my chest at the sight of you sleeping next to me in your cradle. I would sometimes grab you right out of it in the night and hold you close for just a bit then put you back. I still go into your room at least once every night to check on you and look at you and that feeling is still there. The bursting heart one.

You are getting so big, yet still seem so small to me. You are so much fun to be around. Talking to you is so entertaining and funny and amazing all at the same time. You, my boy, are really smart. And I'm not just saying that because I'm your proud mother. You're amazing. I really can't get anything past you. When you have a question and the answer just doesn't make sense you keep asking until you fully understand. Some of the questions have been: How does light work? How do our eyes see color? Why are there wrinkles on our brain? Do lots of wrinkles mean you're really smart? How does electricity work? How does the TV work? How does it make colors? And so many more. You have a true love of learning, and you just came with it in you. Your quest for more and more knowledge will serve you well in your life!

You also use such big words for a boy your age. At least I think you do. Often you'll say, "Mom I'm just feeling exhausted." Or "Wow mom, this is a real challenge." One day you said to me "Well it's a long story. And it's kind of complicated." What four year old talks like that? You do every day.

You love music and no matter where you are, when you hear a song you like, you get up and dance. I love it! And so does everyone around you. You are really interested in learning the violin and so we are diligently searching for a teacher for you. It will be fun to see how you do with your lessons. You also asked for swimming lessons so we'll do that this summer as well.

You had some big milestones this year. You started preschool and enjoy it. You're such a good boy and I am often told how well behaved and smart you are. One day when you were learning a particular letter, you looked out the window and noticed a pattern in the fence and pointed it out to your class. You don't learn patterns until kindergarten, but you notice them in every day life.

You also became a Sunbeam. And you made the transition so smoothly, just like always. You just go into primary and find a seat and listen and behave like a perfect boy. I'm so proud of you. Sometimes if I'm walking you to your class and I get stopped by someone you just go ahead and take yourself. I follow behind you, watching you, secretly hoping you turn around and look for me or need my reassurance with this big step, but you don't. I'm also secretly happy you are so independent and so confident as you go to your new grown up class with out toys or snacks or mom. I still sometimes sneak in the back during sharing time and just watch you. I think you're incredible and I couldn't be more pleased with what a good boy you are.

Another thing I love about you is how you use your imagination. You really love to become what interests you. Especially the characters in the movies you like. If one sparks your interest we search all over the house for things we can use to dress like that person and you want to act it out all day long. It's fun for us to do! Here you are Larry Boy from the veggie tales cartoon. But your current favorite is Megamind. You also have AMAZING facial expressions. It's really easy to tell how you're feeling by the look on your face. Especially if you're not happy. It's hard not to laugh at you when you make your grumpy face, but I think it's ok, it seems to lighten your mood and make you turn that incredible frown upside down.

On the day we found out you were a boy your dad and I went to the store to pick out your very first outfit. I lost track of your dad and looked all over to find him. When I did he was standing in front of a little ski outfit in a daze. I walked up behind him and he just said quietly "I can take him skiing. I can't believe I'm having a boy I can take skiing."

You've gone skiing with your dad a few times and it sure is fun for both of you! You both came home from your ski day happy and tired with lots of funny stories and videos to share.

All his dreams came true as he took you this winter. And I know you enjoyed it just as much.



Another fun thing about you is your love for scary things. You've always been very brave. Nothing really scared you. In fact, when you would see something kind of scary like a shark on Finding Nemo, or a ghost on Thomas, you would ask to see it again. Something about scary things gives you a bit of a thrill. I think you also like the challenge. And you also have a really good understanding of what is real and what is pretend. You love stories and shows about monsters, ghosts and mummies. Recently we discovered you love Micheal Jackson music so dad showed you the thriller video. You of course had to watch the part where the zombies come out of the ground over and over. The next day I heard you out in the back yard planting a zombie garden, because they come out of the ground on the video. And today as we drove past the SLC Cemetary you said "Look, a zombie garden!" Whether it's a new step in your life, or a new kind of monster, you show no fear.

Your dad and I are so pleased with everything you are and all you have become. You amaze us, inspire us, and bring joy to our lives every day. Our hearts are bursting as we think of you our big four year old boy. We can't wait to see all that you'll do with the rest of your life and everything you'll become.


We love you with all our hearts our fun, fabulous, fearless, four year old!

Mom and Dad




No comments: