Tuesday, April 05, 2011

He's Got Rhythm!


Over a year ago we wandered into a museum in Park City with the boys. It just so happened they were having an instrument petting zoo. Several tables were set up with all kinds of different musical instruments for kids to try out. And of course Ty tried them all! It was fun to see him make all kinds of ear straining noise with trumpets, clarinets, and violins. He seemed to especially love the violin. Several times since them he's asked if he can learn to play and we didn't really take him seriously, but one night Jeremy and I were talking and we both mentioned we felt promptings to get him signed up for lessons...so we acted on that.

We had no idea how to go about it. I had no idea how to find a teacher and was even more clueless about violins! With lots of asking around and learning all about violins and if it's better to rent or buy and where to buy and what to look for and on and on and on, Ty is now in his lessons and is the proud owner of a 1/10 violin.

We found a perfect teacher just a few blocks away who has a play room for siblings, so I don't have to find a sitter on a weekday morning and the perfect little violin.

So far he's had three lessons and is doing very well. He's picking up how to read music easily and his teacher said, "he has something really special with rhythm." She's amazed that he can play right on rhythm with the piano for his age and says it's really rare. As I watch him I get all tingly knowing that he does have some very special gifts and hope that I will be up for the challenge of making sure he is always challenged. I feel very overwhelmed by that some days.

Needless to say, we are very pleased with our Ty Guy and what a good little boy he is. I really enjoy sitting down with him daily to practice. He may like the violin for a long time or a short time, but we're thrilled to let him give it a good try. I'm also excited for the many other lessons he will learn through this process like discipline, practice, and patience. And probably many other things I don't even know about yet. Then again, I often wonder, who's teaching who here?


No comments: