Monday, June 06, 2011

Shhhh, Be Still?

Several weekends ago we found ourselves as a little family at the LDS Church History museum for some "get out of the cold rain" fun. As the boys were enjoying the children's section of the museum, Gabe and I went to look at the art to have a moment of quiet time. I checked out the quilt exhibit and them wondered into the big hall full of paintings. They were all incredible and beautiful, but one large painting caught my attention in a pretty powerful way. I couldn't control the tears that flowed freely down my face right out in the open for everyone to see.

A huge painting hung on the wall depicting the scene in the Book of Mormon when the Savior is visiting the people in America. He asked them to bring their children to him so he could bless them and angels surrounded them.

In the painting the angels were decending from heaven like fire. It appeared so powerful but so gentle all at the same time. And although the decent of the angels among the children first caught my attention, it was not what kept it. What I loved most about this painting were the children.

Whenever I pictured this scene in my head as I read this Book of Mormon story I envisioned children sitting quietly at the feet of the Savior looking up to him, listening to his every word, absorbed by his presence, and taking turns sitting on his lap as he spoke to each one, blessing them individually.

In this depiction, the scene was probably more realistic. The children were running, playing, twirling, laughing, dancing, singing, spinning, and their faces shone with joy and happiness. The Savior stood in the middle of them twirling a happy little girl. His face looks like He's having so much fun playing with the children. His eyes were full of joy and so were the eyes of every child depicted in this amazing work of art.

As Angels attended and the Savior blessed, the children, were being children. They were not sitting still, probably not listening to every word, but you know by the look on their faces they saw and heard and felt the love their Savior has for each one of them.

I think of that painting often while I'm trying to "shhhhh" my own little one's in church meetings. Although I know it's important to teach them to be reverent, I think it's also important to remember what they can and can't do for their age and that love should be what they feel, see, and hear when they are in my presence. Nothing is more important than that.


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Beautiful thoughts! My eyes filled with tears as I read it. Thank you for sharing!