I've always known that Memorial Day was a day set aside for us as a Nation to remember, reflect upon, and honor those who have fallen in the service this great country. Ronald Reagan once said, “When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers... They gave up everything for our country, for us. And all we can do is remember.” Although I've always known that, I rarely do it as well as I could. I was reminded of this as Jeremy and I woke up on Monday morning and went to the park to fly his remote control airplane. While Jeremy was flying I took a walk around the park. When I got around the south side I could see the SLC cemetary below filled with cars and people walking to graves carrying flowers. Some people were kneeling beside grave stones and others just stood looking down. I suddenly remembered my own Grandfather and his heroic service in World War II. Although his life wasn't taken during his duty, he was still honored by the Air Force at his funeral 3 short years ago. I looked up at Jeremy's little plane and thought of my Grandpa and other men and women like him bravely serving our country so we could be free. I think now that I'm older and I see footage of a current war flashed on my TV screen almost daily, I am starting to understand, just a little bit more, all the sacrifices that have been made for me and for this country. Memorial Day is so much more that just a much needed "day off", although I appreciate that too. This Memorial Day I made a promise to myself to start some kind of family tradition where we do take time each memorial day to honor and remember those who lost thier lives to make it possible for us to have a "day off" and enjoy the little freedoms we so often take for granted like BBQ's and camping trips. I don't think it should be a day of sadness or mourning, but of praise and respect. Jeremy and I did take advantage of our freedom and enjoyed two incredible family BBQ's. Each one was filled with good food and great company and again reminded us of all we are so blessed with. My heart and my prayers are with those families who gathered together for a BBQ and had an empty place at their table. Thank you!
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
The Meaning of Memorial Day
I've always known that Memorial Day was a day set aside for us as a Nation to remember, reflect upon, and honor those who have fallen in the service this great country. Ronald Reagan once said, “When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers... They gave up everything for our country, for us. And all we can do is remember.” Although I've always known that, I rarely do it as well as I could. I was reminded of this as Jeremy and I woke up on Monday morning and went to the park to fly his remote control airplane. While Jeremy was flying I took a walk around the park. When I got around the south side I could see the SLC cemetary below filled with cars and people walking to graves carrying flowers. Some people were kneeling beside grave stones and others just stood looking down. I suddenly remembered my own Grandfather and his heroic service in World War II. Although his life wasn't taken during his duty, he was still honored by the Air Force at his funeral 3 short years ago. I looked up at Jeremy's little plane and thought of my Grandpa and other men and women like him bravely serving our country so we could be free. I think now that I'm older and I see footage of a current war flashed on my TV screen almost daily, I am starting to understand, just a little bit more, all the sacrifices that have been made for me and for this country. Memorial Day is so much more that just a much needed "day off", although I appreciate that too. This Memorial Day I made a promise to myself to start some kind of family tradition where we do take time each memorial day to honor and remember those who lost thier lives to make it possible for us to have a "day off" and enjoy the little freedoms we so often take for granted like BBQ's and camping trips. I don't think it should be a day of sadness or mourning, but of praise and respect. Jeremy and I did take advantage of our freedom and enjoyed two incredible family BBQ's. Each one was filled with good food and great company and again reminded us of all we are so blessed with. My heart and my prayers are with those families who gathered together for a BBQ and had an empty place at their table. Thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It was amazing to see memrorial day here, every fire station had hundreds of roses tapped to them with messages for the fallen fire men from 9/11, it really give you a wake up call doesnt it. We were sad to miss the BBQ though
Post a Comment