Monday, June 12, 2006

Five Star or Simple Six?


I remember how excited my siblings and I would get everytime we got to stay in a hotel (or motel). We thought we were so fancy because we were staying at the Sleepy Lagoon in Beaver, UT, or a Motel 6. To us it was the Ritz Carlton! We'd inspect every inch of the room, facinated by free mini bottles of shampoo. Then we'd jump on the beds and check to see what was behind every door. We were so impressed that they had taken the time to fold the toilet paper into a little triangle at the end. That was luxury at it's finest! We also thought it was some miracle that we could leave the room and then come back and someone had cleaned it. As I've grown up and developed my career, I had to travel quite often and have become slightly spoiled by luxurious hotel accomodations. I remember the first time I stayed in an actual Ritz-Carlton. I did all those same things I did as a kid at a Motel 6, only I discovered that not only was the toilet paper in the bathroom folded into a triangle, but there were fresh flowers on the counter. Instead of just a shower cap and shampoo, there were bottles of high end face wash, bath gel, mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner, and body lotion....the list goes on. There was someone there to open my door, carry my bags, park my car, make my dinner reservations, do my laundry, press my clothes, bring me room service, get my car when I was ready to leave, and catch me if I tripped and fell. Last week I had the opportunity to attend the annual DSA conference being held in Florida at the Boca Raton Resort and Club. The conference was great. I learned so much that will help me in my profession. I was able to hear from several amazing women who are CEO's, business owners, and top executives. These women were so inspiring to me. I especially loved hearing from Doris Christopher, the founder and CEO of the Pampered Chef. She is so classy, but down to earth. She inspired me to do all those things I'm too afraid to do. While we were there we enjoyed some delicious seafood on the beach and even went swimming in the ocean. We didn't have our bathing suits so we had to make due with what we had on....or didn't have on (so scandalous...don't worry, it was girls only). Once the Conference was over we took a quick flight to Orlando where we participated in a site inspection of two lovely properties that went out of their way to let us know they want our business. We were treated like royalty, from the limo's to the gifts, to the personlized dinner buffet, to the spa treatments, and trip to Epcot. I have to admit it was really nice. But that part of me that loved the excitement of the Motel 6 is still in me and no matter how many fancy hotels I stay in I never want to lose my appreciation for the simple six. Although I've stayed in the Shangri-La in Cebu and the Conrad in Hong Kong, some of my best memories come from staying with Jeremy in the Ocean View Motel in Santa Monica, which no longer had an ocean view, and the ammenities they touted were a phone and alarm clock in every room. But even that can't compare with my own little apartment in in the city, my own bed that Jeremy hand made just for me, and my beautiful garden balcony. After a week of luxury nothing could compare to being with my sweet husband who is nicer to me and does more for me than any fancy hotel staff. After my long trip there was nothing better than to spend a much needed weekend alone with my him at home...now that's luxurious!

2 comments:

Jamie "Ozneck" said...

lol...i was just looking yesterday at the motel 6 in santa monica for us to stay in a few weeks...i thought it looked pretty nice!

Sonja said...

Jamie, I'll get you the address from the motel we stayed at in Santa Monica. It was cute. I saved their brochure just for fun. And you actually can see the ocean between the buildings if you look just right. You also have to check out the Third Street Promenade at night...