Saturday, June 03, 2006

Selfishly Satisfied

I have to admit that I'm very selfish with my Saturday's. It's a rare occasion for me to get an entire Saturday to do whatever I want. Unfortunately when that day comes I usually spend it trying to catch up on the house cleaning, the laundry, the grocery shopping, the car washing, and the preparing of lessons. These seem to be all the things I don't get a chance to do during the week. I don't know if I'm just really bad at managing my time, or I just don't have enough of it. For about a week I tried staying up two more hours each night so that I could have some time to do whatever I wanted, like read a book, or make a card, or write in a journal, or write a letter, or write a book, but I just became more tired during the day. I think part of my problem is the fact that I travel and it takes me away from home so things get piled up. This Saturday was one of those rare occasions where we had the entire day free! Free to do anything we wanted! So of course I made a specific and aggressive plan to tackle the mopping, laundry, dusting, plant watering, vacuuming, and Primary preparations. Jeremy on the other hand, knowing me and sensing my stress to fill my one day off with more work, talked me out of all of it. He reminded me that I was leaving on a trip for five days and this was our chance to have an entire day to spend together and that was more important than spotless floors and empty laundry baskets. I disagreed at first, but then he told me he'd take care of everything while I was gone. So I agreed. We didn't do anything incredibly exciting or spectacular. We just did what whatever we felt like doing, and we did it together, and we just relaxed. Here is what we did:
First we stopped of at a quaint litle corner market about bought some sparkling water and fresh fruit then took it to Memory Grove and ate as we put our toes in the river.


Next we hiked for about an hour up City Creek Canyon and along the way managed to solve all the worlds problems. Then we walked every corner of the park so I could look at all the flowers. Next it was Jeremy's turn to pick an activity so we went to the park on 11th Avenue and he flew his rc airplane. It's really quite relaxing and the weather was a little overcast, but perfect for flying!
Then we went and said hi to his mom and admired her beautifully landscaped yard. Finally we went and got my favorite food from the Greek Souvlaki and went back to Memory Grove to eat it and just watch people. As the sun was going down, we finally went back home and I packed for my trip. Now I'm sitting in a fancy hotel room in Boca Raton and my laundry is still incomplete, my kitchen floor still needs to be mopped, there is no food in the fridge, and I'm sure there is something else I needed to do, but I desperately needed a day, just one day, to not worry about anyone but me and my Jeremy. I feel relaxed and rejuvenated and completely satisfied.

No comments: