I always have an inner struggle on Memorial Day. I want so much to do something to show that I remember the sacrifices made for my freedom, but nothing seems to be good enough. This year was especially hard because of the war in which we are now involved. My heart aches every night when I watch the news and the number of soldiers lives lost that day are read over the air. Jeremy and I watched several broadcasts of soldiers and their families as they told of the struggles they face having their loved one's serve in harms way to protect us all. I saw wives who bore children without their husbands at home, wives who were taking care of several children without help, children crying because their fathers tour of duty was extended, or families suffering the incredible sadness that comes from finding out their father or mother isn't coming back. I was sad because of their heartache and challenges, but I was also sad because of how little throughout the year I give thought to them. I'm not saying that I never think of them, but I do think sometimes I avoid it because it's painful for me. So instead I think about other things and change the channel so I don't have to hear how many more lives were lost. I asked Jeremy what we could do to support our troops more. And I wanted something more that a sticker or ribbon. Jeremy said the best thing to do is stand up for what we believe is right. To study the issues and vote for what we think is right for our country, even if we don't think it makes a difference. I made a promise last year that I would start a Memorial Day tradition that shows how much I support what those brave men and women dedicate their lives to so that I don't have to. I never thought of anything grand but I think Jeremy is right and as for his recommendations I do each one. And I've made more of a commitment to always take time to remember them and their families in my prayers.
I don't think there is anyone who doesn't support our troops no matter what their view on the war is. I've seen the arguments go both ways. Everyone judging and blaming the other for how they define "support". Some believe that sending our troops to a dangerous region to fight terror and then mismanaging the war so terribly shows no support for our troops. Others think that to oppose the war means you don't support our troops. I can see and understand both sides, and think it's great that people are concerned and have the right to voice their opinions and their views freely thanks to those who serve.
I will always remember that we have this freedom because of them...
No comments:
Post a Comment