Sunday, November 04, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

Ok, so how does this work with a baby? Here I am up at 5:30 am and I was afraid this would happen. Actually I've been up since 4:11 and Ty is wide awake. I tried rocking him back to sleep but he started screaming. I mean screaming! And Ty isn't a screamer at all. Then I heard the baby downstairs start screaming. I'm sure we woke her up. I guess trying to put a well rested, happy baby back to sleep for a few hours is not a good idea. I fed him because he seemed so awake (and quite angry) and after walking the floor, getting a drink of water, and reading a few books, he's playing quietly on the floor.

We've been working for a month on getting Ty to sleep just a little longer in the morning. He used to wake up between 6 and 6:30, which is fine for me, but then he'd fall asleep about 30-45 minutes after waking. So I thought hey, rather than waking up for a few minutes, and then going back to sleep for one more hour. Why not just sleep one hour longer? Easier said than done.

Then suddenly he thought 5:30 was a better time for him. That was not going to work for me so we worked on one more hour. Finally last week we were going to bed at 7 and waking up at 6. Perfect!!!!!! Now today I feel like we are back at square one with the time change. And tomorrow we are traveling to Las Vegas. Travel is another baby schedule killer. I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Ty has been sleeping through the night since he was born, except for growth spurts.

I know this isn't all about me, and that some babies just need less sleep, but just trying to figure it all out can be a little frustrating. I sure do love this little sweetie though. Even when he's screaming he's cute! He looks kinda like a little bird.

Here is a photo we got of him a couple of nights ago, all stretched out with his feet up on the bumper. Wish he was doing that now....

7 comments:

jamie lynette said...

I'm so sorry about the 5:30 am wake up! What a bummer. Ever since our big move Thomas has not been a good night sleeper at all! Changes just aren't good for babies. Hopefully Ty will do well in Vegas (I'm jealous that you get to go there!). ...And I've been meaning to tell you that Thomas will totally teach Ty how to crawl if Ty teaches Thomas how to sit up without falling over.

jamie lynette said...

ALSO I love all of Ty's funny face pictures - keep posting those...he is adorable!

jamie lynette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BreAnna said...

oh I am sorry, the sleep thing I think will be one of the hardest thing for me when I am a mommy, although sweet faces from Ty probably make is all much better.

Heather said...

You could adjust his naps...meaning, not as many or not as long so he's really tired at bedtime. That's kind of what I did. But I believe it's just a phase. They just have to get their inner-clocks adjusted. Pretty soon he'll be sleep'in till 8:30 am and you can't get him out of bed & ready for school:) This is my current problem I'm having w/ Treyson.

So ~ I Can't wait to see you & Ty here in VEGAS BABY..Yah!!
See ya Soon...

Unknown said...

Oh, I feel so bad about the sleeping issue. I'm probably a bad mom, but I keep Warner up till 9 at night so I can sleep until 8. Since our rooms are further apart now, I don't hear him if he cries at night, so he usually puts himself right back to sleep. I wish I was closer so I could just squeeze that little guys cheeks. He is so cute!

Laura F said...

Eventually, they do all get older and start sleeping... this too shall pass! :-)