Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Christmas My Sweet Son

This is by far the most exciting Christmas I've anticipated since I was a child. Why you ask? Because now I have a child. I can't think of anything more exciting than waking up Christmas morning to sweet baby Ty's smiling face and soft cooing noises. Having a baby has given me an entirely different perspective on Christmas than I've ever had before. I think of it through the eyes of Mary, the earthly mother of Jesus.

mother & infant ,,

Last year at this time I was "great with child"...so to speak. I was so uncomfortable I could hardly walk. People just stared at me wherever I went and some even asked if I needed help. During that time I couldn't help but think often of Mary. I empathized with her more than ever before and found myself often contemplating what kind of woman and mother she must have been. She was the mother of the Savior of the world and gave birth in such humble circumstances. She must have had so much strength, wisdom, courage, purity, patience, kindness, tenderness, humility, faith, and love. I want so much to emulate her every quality.

We are all familiar with the account of the ever so humble birth of our Savior as told in scriptures. I can't even begin to imagine it. I had every modern day convenience. I rode less than 8 blocks to a nice hospital in the comfort of a fancy car. When I arrived my room was ready and waiting and even had a jetted tub. Thanks to modern medicine, I felt no pain. I had a warm hospital room, a wonderful nurse, a skilled Dr., and a soft bed. I watched a movie while I was in labor and even had someone come and put slippers on my feet. When it was all over I got a hot meal and a new room. Every little thing I needed was rushed to my side literally, at the push of a button.

I'm amazed at her humility as she knew she was carrying the Savior of the world and had nothing more than a stable, a manger, and some rags, for his humble entrance into the world. What a valuable lesson this is to me.

Although the logistical circumstances were so very different, I imagine we were both comforted and protected by the same Heavenly Father. I think I can also imagine her ultimate, overwhelming, and indescribable joy when her sweet baby boy was born and I love thinking that I might share some of those same feelings with her. I think I also share with her the desire to do the very best she possibly could for her sweet baby son.

This year, as Ty approaches his first birthday, I imagine Mary as a mother to a divine infant Son whom she loved and raised with the help and guidance of a loving Heavenly Father and I strive every day to be the kind of woman and mother she was. When the Angel appeared to her, these words were spoken: "Hail, thou that art highly favored. The Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women". Mary stands preeminent, chosen, and blessed because of her faith. Rightly, her name means exalted, and to our Father in Heaven, surely she is precious.

I look to her as an example of how to be "precious" in His sight and the kind of mother Ty needs me to be at this time on the earth.

This Christmas I'm thankful for the opportunity to care for, protect, love, nurture, teach, and learn from this sweet little boy that has been sent to us by a loving Heavenly Father. I'm thankful for the ultimate and indescribable joy he brings me. And I'm most thankful for my Savior and for the eternal joy He offers so freely to all of us. There is no better gift. That is THE Christmas gift. What more could I ever ask for?

It is Him whose birth we celebrate during this wonderful holiday. It is Him whose life we honor and strive to be like. He was born to an amazing earthly mother Mary and I'm thankful she was worthy to fulfill her great calling so our Savior, Jesus Christ could fulfill His.

Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Zachary said...

Hi! Remember me? Zach? We used to work together at Enrich. I found you through Justin Finlinson's Family blog. I am so excited to know you are out here! And your family is beautiful! PS - Love the short hair.

Sonja said...

Zach I'm so happy you found me! Of course I remember you my good friend! I'm happy we can be in touch through our blogs! Sounds like you're doing great. Now that I found you and Justin well, mostly Laura, but she's way cooler anyways :), we just need to find Matt and then we should all go golfing again!

Zachary said...

Hey Sonja- Me again. First of all...this Christmas entry you wrote brings tears to my eyes...seriously. Second, feel free to write me any time at liffdog@gmail.com. I will be sure to let you know the next time I am in town...or if I find Matt.