Saturday, January 05, 2008

Christmas In Las Vegas

We drove to Las Vegas as it was the year for Christmas at the Call's. Here is a photo of our car parked in front of my parents house. Notice the grass and palm tree leaves. It was a GREEN Christmas for us this year!



Ty was just perfect on the drive. We left just before bedtime and I sat in the backseat for an hour and read and played with him. Then after a stop for dinner and diaper change it was off to sleep for Ty and a road trip that was enjoyed by all.

It was fun to be back home with my parents. They did such a great job providing a wonderful and magical Christmas experience for us as children and I'm going to do my best to recreate that for my little ones. If I had to pick one word to describe our Christmas experiences it was "simple". They always made things fun and festive, but never overdone. Less gifts and more giving. Less neighbor treats and more neighbor service. Less business and more focus on family. There were less Christmas lights and more of the gospel light. Not that Christmas lights, decorations, treats, and gifts are bad, they just never let us get out of perspective. I hope to always keep my own family Christmas experiences simple so we can have more of that feeling I love at Christmas.

Ty's approach to his gifts was "ok if you want me to rip this paper I will. Thanks." He's so funny and really loved each gift he received from cousins, mom and dad, aunts and uncles, and grandparents. He's one loved little boy. He even had a tooth appear the day after. We didn't even know it was coming. That makes a total of five little chompers!

We drove back to Utah just in time to spend time with Jeremy's family for after Christmas and New Year's activities. It was so fun to have Bre and Bry and Alisa and JJ in town for a few days. We spent New Years at Grandmas playing games and watching movies with the cousins. I can't imagine a better way to spend it!


Also this Christmas was full of miracles. Some big and some small but every single one strengthened my faith. I won't go into too much detail as they are personal but since I'm horrible at writing in my journal and good at writing on my blog I'll refer to them as follows just so when I look back I can remember.

First there was the miracle of the "noisy neighbors" followed by the miracle of the "$25 Gift Card". Then came the miracle of the "framed picture of Mary and the baby", the miracle of "prayers for fun".

I'm excited for the experiences the New Year brings, and the lessons I'll learn through them!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have such an amazing family. Christmas should be simple and focused on our Savior. How exciting Ty got another tooth and even better you didn't know it!! Usually they let you know by being fussy!

jamie lynette said...

Glad to hear you had a great Christmas and that Ty is growing well! I can't believe how much he is eating (I think he needs to give Thomas tips on how to not be a picky eater). How are you liking your new home? We actually had a "noisy neighbor night" as well and it was followed by "We're so sorry, but here are some super scrumpcious beef tips!" The joys of duplex living!

BreAnna said...

I dont know how I missed this post. It was a great holiday, I am so glad I was able to see your new home, it is so darling, when I finally get one I am going to drag you there to help me decorate it, you homes are always so warm and comforting.