As I went to the polls yesterday morning with my sweet little family, I was overcome with emotion. As I read that first question on the ballot asking me who I would like to choose for the next President of this great country I love, I had a hard time holding back the tears. I quickly glanced around to see if anyone noticed because I was a little embarrassed. I was thankful Ty was there with us. It sure changes the way you look at things when you have a little one. He was more interested in the sticker, but that's ok :)
I pulled it together so that my vision wouldn't be blurred and I wouldn't push the wrong button, but my feelings were that of peace. I was at peace with the process. I was at peace with whoever won, and I was at peace knowing that my vote counted. And I was at peace knowing that we live in this great country.
I couldn't help but think how blessed I am to be a part of this! I get to make my print! I get to choose! How cool is that? Seriously? And I loved hearing that in record numbers people across this country did the same thing. Some waiting in line for more than 3 hours. The United States of America is an amazing country. And no matter who you voted for, the amount of patriotic emotion I saw last night made me feel, deep in my soul, that our country is not doomed, or hanging by any threads :)
I have no fear, just faith and hope. Watching Americans come together in the way they did last night was a great reminder that we are a strong and amazing country and that despite our differences we are the United States of America and I am so thankful I get to be a part of all this.
Our new President will have my prayers and support for the next four years to come. It is my hope that he is the kind of leader we need so desperately need right now. That will continue to be my hope and prayer. I'm so proud to be an American!
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this post - Thank you Sonja!!! I have come across so many doom and gloomers today, and personally had no idea so many people around here really thought so poorly of our president-elect. I'm completely with you, though. I admit to voting for his competitor this time, but I'm so excited about seeing what happens in the next four years and can't help but think just the unity he's spurred in our country is already a good thing. Well written.
I also love this post, as well as the one before that I just read. I am one of those fearful ones and have been very outspoken as far as my views this election. I don't feel that either candidate deserved to be in the running for an office with such an awesome responsibility. I admire how you can make such great point and never give away who you voted for- I guess that's because who you voted for WASN'T your point. Once again, good post.
Wow, are you running in any elections? I'd vote for you any day!! And I'm sure you could do it all, too. Thanks for the uplifting thought today!! And so good to catch up on your blog. You're amazing and so are 'your men.'
Post a Comment