Monday, November 03, 2008

A New Leader

It's been a really long election hasn't it? And it's all coming to an end tomorrow. I have to admit I've become more caught up in it than I ever thought I would. I think you could call me an addict. It will be nice to get back to normal :)

When it comes to making these kind of big decisions it can be a real struggle for me. I don't belong to a political party. I'm a registered Independent. I feel that neither (or any) party represents my values and beliefs. Nor would I expect them to. I learned very early on that the world doesn't revolve around me and what I think :) Which is really unfortunate...I'm kidding.

So when it comes to an election, especially one as important as this one, I take a very broad approach to deciding the candidate I'll vote for. For me and my personality I can't focus on just one issue. There are so many that effect me. I have to decide which candidate best represents my overall philosophy, or "world view". Which one best espouses the values that I hold dear and true to my heart. And these values come from my strong and abiding belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I do have some pretty strict tests I hold the candidates to. I believe that we are all brothers and sisters and should treat each other as such. I try as hard as I can to live my life by the first and great commandment, because everything else stems from that: When asked which was the greatest commandment of the law, the Lord said: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. … [And] thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself” (Matt. 22:37, 39).

In this post I focus on this one issue, even though I mention earlier that there are so many others that matter to me, but for me, it is upon this one issue that all the others hinge. This one issue tells me if their actions will align with the words they speak and is an open window to the values and morals they hold.

Regardless of the color of our skin, the language we speak, the religion or the politics we practice, we all are sons and daughters of God and must reach out to one another with love and concern. And I believe very strongly that when we do that, and not alienate people of differing views, we will create an atmosphere in this country where the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ can be taught more powerfully than we've yet to see.

I've also spent countless hours reading every Ensign article I could find on Politics, Presidential Elections, war, abortion, education, welfare, government, and all things political, dating from the most current issues back until the beginning of time. ( I love the internet) It has truly effected my outlook on this election to read the words of our present and past Prophets, Apostles, and other leaders. Here are some of the things that stood out to me most: (And these are just a few....I found too many to post)

“President George Albert Smith observed, “There is nothing in the world more deleterious or harmful to the human family than hatred, prejudice, suspicion, and the attitude that some people have toward their fellows, of unkindness.” In matters of politics, he warned,“Whenever your politics cause you to speak unkindly of your brethren, know this, that you are upon dangerous ground.””

N Eldon Tanner of the First Presidency said in 1972: “Let us always remember that men of great character need not belittle others or magnify their weaknesses. In fact, the thing that makes them great is the showing of love for and interest in their neighbors’ success and welfare. Particularly in discussing religion and politics do we have a tendency to try to tear down anothers beliefs and principles. It is distressing to read and hear on every side an attack on an individual who is in public office, whose name is smeared, and whose family suffers also the indignities heaped upon them. How much better to keep campaigning and debating on a high plane and to avoid all mud throwing. In fact, people appreciate a campaigner who stands on principle and who avoids personal criticisms.”

Hugh B Brown said: “First I would like you to be reassured that the leaders of both major political parties in this land are men of integrity and unquestioned patriotism. Beware of those who feel obliged to prove their own patriotism by calling into question the loyalty of others...Strive to develop a maturity of mind and emotion and a depth of spirit which enables you to differ with others on matters of politics without calling into question the integrity of those with whom you differ. Allow within the bounds of your definition of religious orthodoxy variation of political belief."

Elder Woods, 2006:“Have we who have taken upon us the name of Christ slipped unknowingly into patterns of slander, evil speaking, and bitter stereotyping?
Have personal or partisan or business or religious differences been translated into a kind of demonizing of those of different views? Do we pause to understand the seemingly different positions of others and seek, where possible, common ground?”

“It is far too easy sometimes to fall into a spirit of mockery and cynicism in dealing with those of contrary views. We demoralize or demean so as to bring others or their ideas in contempt.
It is a primary tool of those who occupy the large and spacious building that Father Lehi saw in vision.”

Henry B. Eyring, most recent conference address: To be that peacemaker, you need to have the simple faith that as children of God, with all our differences, it is likely that in a strong position we take, there will be elements of truth. The great peacemaker, the restorer of unity, is the one who finds a way to help people see the truth they share. That truth they share is always greater and more important to them than their differences. You can help yourself and others to see that common ground if you ask for help from God and then act. He will answer your prayer to help restore peace, as He has mine.

That same principle applies as we build unity with people who are from vastly different backgrounds. The children of God have more in common than they have differences. And even the differences can be seen as an opportunity. God will help us see a difference in someone else not as a source of irritation but as a contribution. The Lord can help you see and value what another person brings which you lack. More than once the Lord has helped me see His kindness in giving me association with someone whose difference from me was just the help I needed. That has been the Lord’s way of adding something I lacked to serve Him better.

“In a world beset by wrath, President Gordon B. Hinckley, has counseled: “Now, there is much that we can and must do in these perilous times. We can give our opinions on the merit of the situation as we see it, but never let us become a party to words or works of evil concerning our brothers and sisters in various nations on one side or the other. Political differences never justify hatred or ill will. I hope that the Lord’s people may be at peace one with another during times of trouble, regardless of what loyalties they may have to different governments or parties.””

I have to say that neither candidate is perfect (far from it, but so am I) and none has passed my own character and values test with flying colors. But one did stand out more than the other. I know that whomever I choose I will have to overlook things that I don't agree with. But when taking that broad overall look one person, I feel, comes closer than the other.

It also concerns me when I hear and see so much fear in people. In addition to putting these candidates through my personal character test, I take a look at those who support the candidate and how they go about sharing their feelings and views. It's been eye opening!

It is my hope and my prayer and my observation that the candidate I choose does not and will not instill those negative, hateful, and fear filled feelings in the people they lead. Those feelings do not come from God and will do nothing but weaken our country and divide it even further. I often times see fear used as a strong tactic to get votes. And I think it's dangerous and manipulative.

I do have hope for our country and for the next leader of it. It is my hope they will be someone who inspires, who unites, who brings people from both sides closer to the middle. I think both men absolutely have the power to do that. I hope that whichever one wins tomorrow has the wisdom, the character, and the values, and the courage to actually do it. I feel so at peace going into the polls tomorrow :) And I love that feeling.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I couldn't make a comment on your blog the other day because blogger wouldn't accept my password...weird, but anyway I wanted to comment on those cute pumpkins Jeremy did. Hes so talented! Ty looks way cute in his costume. And I love Palin that Emily dressed up as. Too Funny!

Kristin said...

I LOVE your quotes! I also love your attitude. I was surprised by the emotional responses I received when I asked political questions. I appreciated your respectful tone and only wish everyone had that attitude.

Anonymous said...

sonja, i just loved this blog entry. i want to copy what you have written down and post on brian's families blog. not that they are argueing, just to show to them this truth.

with what has happened in my life, i see quotes that pertain to not only the other party, but to me as well. thank you for sharing this. the quotes were so inspring, so uplifting, i wish the world would read them. and understand their true meaning. not only on electing our President, but on other issues we face in this world.

i have never been more passionate about this election then any other. such a historical moment for our country.

peace...i have received so much peace about the person i voted for and so much peace by reading your blog. i just want to share it with everyone.