So this is kind of a random post, but one I've been meaning to write for a while. Recently we watched the Opening Ceremonies for the Winter Olympic Games. They were great, but one little part really impacted me. It was a performance by a talented singer. It really moved me, inspired me, and has stuck with me very strongly ever since. I've thought so much about it during the weeks that followed.
I've asked myself what it was that struck me so powerfully as to reflect on it over and over. It wasn't the lyrics of the song, or the music, although they were beautiful. It wasn't the setting or even the event of the Olympics opening, although those things are always inspiring too. It wasn't necessarily even the artist, although I've always been a fan and find her incredibly talented. What hit me the most was how the song was performed.
It was flawless. Every note was delivered with perfection. The emotion was sincere and raw. It seemed to me like all the stars aligned to deliver this masterpiece of a number. And it was authentic. This type of performance could not be faked or pre-recorded. In my mind I saw hours of hard work and pure talent come together to present something to be proud of. And I was. It was true art. I was changed by it.
It made me thankful that the singer didn't skimp on sharing her talents. That she shared her talents with the utmost excellence. It made me not want to skimp on my God given talents and share them with the utmost excellence. It made me realize that when people use their talents for good it does change people and inspire people and make people want to be better. I thought of the popular Nelson Mandela quote, we've all heard it, but one line in the quote really sums up how I feel.
"And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give other people permission to do the same."
No comments:
Post a Comment