Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Two Moms

I loved Sister Becks talk in conference. I loved the part about personal revelation. I have very strong yet tender feelings about this topic. From my earliest years I recall my mother teaching me how to recognize the spirit and teaching me that it would always guide me. I believed her with my heart and soul and spent (and am still spending) my lifetime trying to listen to that still small voice and recognize it's presence in my life.

It wasn't until my mission that I really learned how personal revelation works for me. It was as a missionary that I really learned to pray. It was the most powerful lesson of my whole mission. If I accomplished nothing else, it was that. If I went for no other reason, that one was worth every minute of it. I learned how to communicate with Deity. To truly communicate. It changed my whole life and my whole relationship with my Heavenly Father.

When I got married I got another mom. I truly couldn't ask for a better second mom than her. And I learn equally valuable things from her as I do my own mother. Often I'll say to Jeremy "I want to be more like your mom in that way."

Tonight as I rocked my sweet Cameron to sleep I made a connection between my two moms and all they have done for me. My sweet second mom gave me a rocking chair before Ty was born. It's been very well used. I appreciate it so much. I don't know if she has any idea what incredible moments take place in that chair. Some of my most tender feelings have been poured out as I sat there, it's arms holding mine as I cradle those boys that I love more than I ever thought possible.

It's in that chair, and the quiet and sacred moments that take place in it, that I've received some of the most powerful personal revelations of my life so far. I've received comfort, strength, guidance, insight and power.

I'm so blessed to have two amazing mom's who unknowingly have worked together to provide me with what I need most. One mother who taught me how to hear, the other one gave me a place to listen. Thank you. I love you!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

And you ARE an amazing mom :-)