Wednesday, August 02, 2006

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Here is a photo of my prized petunias! Every year I enjoy growing flowers on my balcony, but this year has been an exception. The flowers this year have grown twice a much as they usually do by now. It's amazing! Either I picked really good flowers or they really like the plant food I've been feeding them. Last year I didn't have such good luck so I bought all petunias this year and a few geraniums. Those seem to do well in the heat and on my west facing balcony they get a lot of sun. Fortunately Jeremy installed an automatic watering system which I think also really helps. The flowers are watered for a few minutes every four hours. He's so smart! He has also really helped me take care of them a lot lately in the evenings when I've been too sick to get off the couch and go out on the hot balcony and tend to them. If they had a prize for most beautiful balcony in the city, I'm certain I'd win! (As long as they don't see the grease stain from when Jeremy re-built his transfer case...)

5 comments:

Jamie "Ozneck" said...

hey i need to build a watering system for my patio...all my plants are dead any ideas or tips?

Dixon Family said...

Thoes do look great!! All mine are dead too. They were great until the heat hit. Maybe I too need a automatic watering sytem?

Sonja said...

Perhaps this is the business Jeremy should go into!! He could do custom automatic watering systems for people! Keeping flowers alive in Utah can be challenging enough, but it's even harder in Las Vegas. On days when it's below 100 degrees you have to water once a day. If it's 100 or more you have to water twice. I planted some for mom last year too outside her kitchen window and they didn't make it either.

Sonja said...

Emily, how are those one flowers doing that you bought? The Dalias? or something like that. Do they only bloom in spring? I really like those. I saw a ton in memory grove and they are so pretty...

Dixon Family said...

2 of my 4 dalias are still alive and thriving. Thats 50% not to bad