Today I had the privilage of attending the Utah Women's Conference, sponsored by Orrin Hatch, where I was able to hear Sandra Day O'Connor as the keynote speaker. I was so incredibly impressed with this amazing woman. It was a true honor to listen to her. There are so many impressive things about her, but the thing that impressed me the most was how unpretentious she was. She is one of the most powerful women in the history of the United States and for years now she's topped lists of the most influential women in the world, but she's so humble about it. I've always said and believed that when a person is truly great, they'll never tell you about it, they won't have to, and they don't want to. Their actions speak much louder than their words. The way they treat others is more important to them than what they've accomplished, and thier motives are pure. They never do or say anything to place themselves above another person.
Justice O'Connor is one of those rare, truly great people. She never once said "hey look what I've done, I'm so great, I've really done a lot for this country and for women. I'm so accomplished and great, let me tell you all about it!" She never uttered a boastful word. She talked about her life and she told it like a story and I wish she could have spoken longer. She clearly has worked hard, made sacrifices, is very talented, and has a list of outstanding accomplishments longer than most, but she never drew attention to those things. She was more comfortable talking about growing up on a ranch and spending time with her husband....and then one day the President of the United States called. She made it sound like no big deal!
She really made an impression on me that I won't soon forget and I loved her example of strength combined with humility. To me, that is what makes someone a truly great person. Just being in her presence you felt how amazing and kind she is. She is they kind of person I aspire to be, but am very far from becoming!
The reason I attended the conference is because my own CEO was asked to speak at a workshop and she is also an incredibly inpiring and humble woman who's success has come from very hard work, sacrifice, and not giving up. I always enjoy listening to her life experiences and learning from her insights. She always inspires me and has been through so much!
I also had the chance to listen to Mary Ellen Edmunds who I've admired for a long time now. I first heard her speak when I was in the MTC preparing for my mission. She is so funny and down to earth and also demonstrates such humility. Her entire message was based on her quote "We spend money we don't have, for things we don't need, to impress people we don't like, and then they never even come over so they can be jealous of all our things." She is really funny and makes you think about so much. I loved how she said she wishes she didn't have to have contrast to be greatful for what she has, she wishes she just could be. She spent a lot of time in Africa directing a project for childrens health and when she saw how little they had it made her realize how much she has.
The conference was a great way to spend my day and I appreciate my CEO inviting me and sponsoring my attendance!
2 comments:
What a great opportunity! It so wonderful to have these experiences in life, it keeps us motivated to keep going on the right path. I only wish I was there too!!!
By the way..thanks again for spending Halloween with us and bringing that great dip!! yummy!
I wish I could have brought you along, you would have really enjoyed it.
Halloween was a BLAST! Thanks for letting me take the kids out. I will soon be posting super cute photos of them and now I'm going to go eat some yummy dip for my lunch.
Post a Comment