Monday, March 03, 2008

T Love & Special Sauce



Ty had a few boring days last week. I got really sick for a few days and found getting off the couch to be difficult. My muscles ached, my skin hurt, and throat was swollen almost shut. Ty was so patient with his sick momma. He is the best little baby boy I could ever ask for.

Also, since Ty stopped growing so quickly, (he only gained 2 inches and 3 oz between 6 and 9 mo), I've been forced to become obsessed with what he eats. So I've had to become creative. I've learned he loves pasta, just like his dad, and I cook him whole grain pasta for extra nutrition and protein. He can eat this all on his own too, which he prefers.

Then, to liven up the pasta I created some secret special sauces that go on top. I use a cheese sauce full of carrots and sweet potatoes that he just loves! I also use a meat sauce with either beef or chicken, tomato sauce, carrots, beans, and squash. I also make a pizza sauce for either pasta or to go on a piece of wheat bread with some melted cheese for his own little pizzas. (Most of these were just variations of recipes from Deceptively Delicious, which is an awesome cookbook!). I just make a big batch of these sauces and freeze individual servings, then and keep a weeks worth of cooked pasta in the fridge. I also add wheat germ or flax meal to just about everything.

For breakfast I make him sweet potato and peach pancakes with a really healthy whole grain pancake mix. These make great finger foods for any time of day. He also loves scrambled eggs and fruit mixed with plain yogurt. He is still crazy about bananas, tofu, avocado, and string cheese. He's also discovered gold fish crackers and peanut butter sandwiches.

I'd still love to find some more variety and other ideas for his meals so you other mom's please share if you can! What do you feed your kids? Especially if they don't like the veggies so much.

In the meantime enjoy this super cute video of Ty playing with grandmas dog Molly....

4 comments:

Preds Girl said...

Oh my goodness! What a darling photo of Ty and Jeremy!! So adorable!

And, I love the idea of hiding the veggies in food. I will have to look up that book.

Heather said...

You are really creative w/ your meals. Treyson is so fussy w/ everything I fix. I made a Chicken Devine dish last night (David's favorite). It has Broccoli in it and he wouldn't touch it. Its so fustrating. So keep up with what your doing...it sounds like its working.

Arah Debra said...

I love that video! Looks like someone needs a puppy.

Emily Dixon said...

I love that photo! So are you feeling better now?