Monday, July 26, 2010

The Things People Say

Since I found out I'm having another boy and I'm starting to really look pregnant, I have been so entertained by the things people say. I've had a variety of comments on my looks and on my motherhood to all boys. Most of them are nothing but positive and encouraging. I'm so thankful for the people in my life who are so excited for me and who have all the faith in the world in my abilities to be a great mother to these amazing boys. I'm thankful for his auntie BreAnna who rushed over the evening of the ultrasound to bring new baby boy his very first tie, and for my mom, his Grandma, who is already collecting things she knows I love and need. And I'm thankful for all those who express love and excitement for our family.

I also appreciate those who make funny comments, that make me laugh on the inside, and sometimes catch me off guard. I know no one means anything bad. I often say things that are taken the wrong way or just come out all wrong. I never intend to hurt anyone and the funny things people say don't hurt me either. I've had some tell me how sorry they are for me that it's not a girl and expect disappointment from me. I think they are caught off guard to find out that not an ounce of disappointment exists. It does make me want to cover his ears so he can't hear that anyone at all might be disappointed by his arrival, although I'm sure that's not what they mean. I hope. I couldn't be more excited or less disappointed. Another funny one I hear is "Everyone needs a girl". Wow. I'm impressed that some people know what everyone needs. I certainly can't claim to know that. I am however thankful to a Heavenly Father who knows perfectly what I need and gives it to me.

The funniest pregnancy comment ever was said to me on Sunday. I was wearing a real maternity dress for the first time and a woman came up to me and said "I have that same dress and it makes me look pregnant too!" I just laughed and said "Oh I have that same problem!" It was so funny. I will never forget that one! Throughout all my pregnancies I've heard so many things that nothing offends me any more. I'm always amazed at how one person will tell me I look so small and beautiful and the next will say, are you sure it's not multiples? You're huge! A cute comment I got with Cameron was "You're gaining weight in all the right places and you look adorable." I thought that was such a cute and kind way to say, yes you're getting bigger and it looks great on you! I love them all. The one's that are a little less flattering give me something to laugh about.

I also love the comments about "How are you going to handle three?" Apparently I'm not handling two well? Having small children is hard, stressful, and I do get frazzled. Anyone who thinks it's not is lying. Might as well add one more to the mix. I know I can do this. I know I can do this well. And I know I won't be perfect. I don't expect myself to be. I just expect my best. I look forward to the challenge.

Another woman at church gave me a compliment I will never forget and literally brought tears to my eyes as I walked away. It's obvious now that I'm pregnant. She grabbed my arm and pulled me aside and said, you look beautiful, I had no idea you were pregnant! I told her I was having a boy and she said with all sincerity, "I'm so thankful Heavenly Father is sending his sons to you. I need a mother like you to raise good, righteous boys for my daughter. It gives me hope to know you are raising sons. I'm so thankful for you."

I feel so honored that I have been asked to raise righteous men. It feels awesome to be the mother of all boys. I wouldn't have it any other way. I look forward to the challenge, I look forward to seeing my boys grow up, I look forward to being their mother, I look forward to feeling their love and giving them all of mine. I'm so excited, I can't say it enough.






No comments: